|Here are some interesting facts about Cricket.
• In 1868, when Australia first toured England under Charles Lawrence to play cricket, each player was wearing a different coloured cap so that the the spectators could identify them.
• The only man to score two test triple centuries is Brian Lara. He had scored 375 runs playing against England in 1994. In 2004, Mathew Hayden broke his world record. Lara reclaimed it rld record with 400 not out.
• The first official test match, which is now recognised, was played between England and Australia on March 15th – 19th, 1877. Australia had defeated England by 45 runs.
• England’s Alfred Shaw was the bowler to bowl the first delivery in a Test match. He took 3 three wickets in the first innings and 5 in the second,
• England’s Allen Hill had both the first Test wicket and the first catch. He dismissed Nat Thomson for 1. This fine bowler’s career was unfortunately beset by injuries.
• Australia’s Charles Bannerman faced the first delivery in a Test match and he also went on to be the first Test centurion.
• Charles Bannerman scored 165 in his first Test innings and was retired hurt. Incidentally, he did not take field. W.Newing fielded for him, thus becoming the first substitute fielder in Test cricket.
• Australia’s WE Midwinter became the first bowler to get a 5 wicket haul in a Test innings. He dismissed 5 English batsmen in his 54 over long spell in the first Test ever played.
• CA Reid and RB Terry were the two on-field officials or umpires for the first ever Test match in the history of cricket.
• The first ever Test match was over in 4 days. Australia won it by 45 runs. Attendances on these four 4 days was about 4500, 4000, 10000 and 2000.
• Paul Collingwood of England is the only man to score a century and take 6 wickets in one day internationals. Against Bangladesh in 2005 he scored 112* (not out) and took 6 wickets for 31 runs - truly amazing!
• The second day of Lord's test match between England and West Indies is the only time in the history of cricket that a part of all 4 inning have been played on the same day.